Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Content...No Matter What


I was walking this morning and was praying. I asked the Lord if I could please start off today with a plea. Usually I start with praise and thanks for the blessings that I am enjoying and for the wonderful plans I know He has for me. But today was different. I was pleading with the Lord to relieve me from a situation that I was unhappy with, and to bring a particular blessing into my life. As I continued to pray, He ministered to me through His Spirit. He reminded me that it is not His primary desire for His children to be immediately relieved from every trouble they encounter but that in the midst of it, He is not only with us but He is also strengthening us. In trials we grow when we stay committed to Him. Further, although I desire a particular circumstance, I know that God’s will is perfect for me. I may THINK that I want a particular thing to happen, but if I knew what He knows, I may not want what I’m asking for. We ask in the dark because, unlike God, we don’t know everything. If we knew, we may change our plea. Thus, we pray (and my prayer became) “not my will Lord, but Yours be done”. I know, as I have shared with you before, that I deeply desire control and it has to be a daily intention of my heart to relinquish the stress of erroneously thinking I can control or even understand everything.

So I arrive at home after my walk and open up the Word. The Lord also led me to a study that included Psalm 16 and He encouraged me with these words from verses 9-11: Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure, because you will not abandon me to the realm of the dead, nor will you let your faithful one see decay. You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.

The whole of Psalm 16 was used as part of a devotion regarding contentment in all circumstances. The Lord continued to speak to my heart. And as I got ready to hit the shower and make breakfast, He said to me “Nothing has changed.” I can still be just as content in this challenging season as I have been during times of peace because He has not changed. The One in whom I hope, the One in whom I can depend, the One who makes my paths straight…He has not changed. He is the same God as He was when I was feeling all prosperous and happy. He is the same….my circumstances have changed…but He is the same. Because of this, I can place my hope in Him. Because of this, I can walk in joy and contentment. HE HAS NOT CHANGED!

The devotion quoted philosopher Anicus Boethius who said, “Nothing is miserable but what is thought so, and contrariwise, every estate is happy if he that bears it be content.”

Oh my! Nothing is miserable except for what I think is miserable??? Every state that I find myself in is a happy state if I am in a content state of mind??? Paul said it this way “I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.” (Philippians 4:11-13)

Our precious Lord strengthens us, allowing us to experience contentment in and through and with Him regardless of the circumstances surrounding us.

So I will continue to pray and ask for what I want (with my limited knowledge) and, even more so, what I believe the Lord desires, but not with an attitude of anguish or anxiety over my present state. Rather, as the Word tells us, with prayer and supplication AND THANKSGIVING, I am making my requests known to our Father and thanking Him for His peace.

Content…no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment