Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Some Thoughts on Philippians 2&3

Last weekend I was studying these two chapters and found so much richness within them!  Here are some thoughts that I wanted to share with you.
Phil 2:1-8: Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death—even death on a cross!

Putting the best interest of others above our own is an attitude to be pursued and cultivated. This is what Jesus modeled even to the point of death.
I was thinking that death is not so much my concern but it is really the thought of being tortured for my faith that is unnerving. As I was talking to the Lord about this, He helped me to see the choice is between having a rich relationship with Him and just avoiding some discomfort. I hate discomfort, as the average person does, but I need to love Him more than I hate discomfort. So I’m resolved that, no matter what, I won’t deny, ignore, or prioritize relationship with someone else (or the pursuit of comfort) above relationship with Him. Even to the point of torturous death.

Phil 2:12&13 - Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.

Our prayers, our focus, our development is not just for our personal enhancement. We work out our salvation with fear and trembling so that we may rightly respond to God’s prompting of our will and empowering as we act in accord with His will. And this is all for His good purposes; not only in our lives but in the lives of those we come in contact with.
As followers of Christ, we have a call and giftings. And because we are a part of the story for many others we get to plant seeds or water what has already been planted, and God gives the increase. We get to do this all our lives for maybe thousands or millions of others. What a precious process we get to be a part of!


1 Corinthians 3:6&7 - I planted, Apollos watered, but God [all the while] was making it grow and [He] gave the increase. So neither he who plants is anything nor he who waters, but [only] God Who makes it grow and become greater.

No comments:

Post a Comment