Monday, May 4, 2015

Odd…but Appropriate Empathy

Repeatedly in scripture, we see Paul’s consistent persecution by the Jews who opposed him (actually they were opposing God’s work). Everywhere he went it seemed that some group of opponents would whoop up a crowd to oppose the disciples, seize them, accuse them of false things before leaders, or just try to kill them without any type of legal process!
It hit me today as I was reading Acts 22, that Paul would have understood very well the enthusiasm some of these haters had. Some of them hated what the disciples were teaching because they truly believed it was blasphemous.
At the beginning of this chapter, we see Paul’s ability to relate to the enthusiasm of his haters. He is addressing them from jail, having just been seized by yet another angry mob who tried to kill him but were interrupted in their efforts and then made false accusations before law keepers. When Paul was jailed, he asked that he may address the angry crowd outside, was granted permission to do so – and this is how that address began:
“Brothers and fathers, listen to me as I offer my defense.” (When they heard him speaking in Hebrew, the silence was even greater.)  “I am a Jew,” he said, “born in Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, but educated here in Jerusalem under Gamaliel, at whose feet I learned to follow our Jewish laws and customs very carefully. I became very anxious to honor God in everything I did, just as you have tried to do today. And I persecuted the Christians, hounding them to death, binding and delivering both men and women to prison.  The High Priest or any member of the Council can testify that this is so. For I asked them for letters to the Jewish leaders in Damascus, with instructions to let me bring any Christians I found to Jerusalem in chains to be punished.” (Acts 22:1-5)
Paul goes on to tell them about his Damascus Road experience with Christ. But when Paul says that God instructed him to go to the Gentiles to teach them the truth, the crowd went crazy! They were unhappy about this and demanded that he be killed. The commander in charge brought Paul back inside and intended to whip him in order to get him to confess his crime, but he learned that Paul was a Roman citizen and relented. Craziness!
But the beauty in the beginning of Paul’s address is that he says, “I became very anxious to honor God in everything I did, just as you have tried to do today.” Wow! Once again he had an angry mob trying to kill him and he is able to say he was just like them…he understands. Beautiful words of empathy towards those who hated him and wanted to see him dead. A great example to us of loving our enemies. And Paul even went as far to as to identify himself with them! Beautiful.

“You have heard that it was said, ‘YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.” (Matthew 5:43-45)

No comments:

Post a Comment