Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Settle In

Ok, so this “horse” isn’t quite dead yet, so I thought I’d beat it just a little more.

Last Friday I admonished you to fight the good fight; to not cower, but to resist the devil’s attacks; to deepen your faith and trust in the Lord. On Monday I wanted you to understand that in the midst of challenges, the Lord is preparing you—strengthening you, for what is to come.

Today, I want to revisit that matter of challenge and invite you to “settle in” to your challenge. Merriam-Webster tells us that the verb “settle” means 1. to end (something, such as an argument) by reaching an agreement  2. to make a final decision about (something)  3. to move to a place and make it your home. Each of these nuances of “settle” are appropriate in this context but I’d like to focus on the idea of moving to a place and making it your home.

The early “Settlers” did this. They travelled from wherever they had been, found a new place to settle, and made their homes there. They established businesses and services, they manufactured and harvested and did all that was needed to thrive where they were.

So again, I want to invite you to settle into your challenge. This means that you accept that this is where the Lord has allowed you to be right now and for whatever reason(s). This means that you have resolved that you will not be constantly striving to get out of this place. This means that you find ways to thrive in the midst. You are asking yourself, “what can I do and what should I do, right now, to make this place livable? To be able to thrive?” And as Christians, we always have to ask ourselves, “How can I give God glory in this season?” Divorce…death of a loved one…single-parenting…debilitating illness…unemployment? Yes, even in the midst of those challenges or worse, we ask those questions. We may ask them through tears. We may ask with hurt and resentment (God can handle that). We may ask and really not be sure that God can or will do anything. But we can ask. We can settle in.

Be encouraged, God will strengthen you…
The Lord God is my Strength, my personal bravery, and my invincible army; He makes my feet like hinds’ feet and will make me to walk [not to stand still in terror, but to walk] and make [spiritual] progress upon my high places [of trouble, suffering, or responsibility]! Habakkuk 3:19 AMP

 
…and in His timing, He will deliver you…
Then the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from trials, and to keep the unrighteous under punishment until the day of judgment,  2 Peter 2:9 (read verses 4-9 for greater encouragement)

 
…so settle in and allow the Lord to do the work in you that He desires to do…
Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides. You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors. So don’t try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way. James 1:2-4

No comments:

Post a Comment