Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Influence

I “follow” a particular weightlifter on line and he posts what he eats almost on a daily basis. He always tags his meals #paleo. So I decided to check out what that was and in so doing, learned about an interesting eating philosophy. When I told one of my family members about it, she said, “Everyone is eating Paleo these days.” I didn’t know that! I hadn’t heard about it from anyone but him. The point I’m making is that one man had a big impact on me and my life habits.

We, as Christians, should be making an impact on the world around us as well. Matthew 5:13-16 says this: “You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under people's feet. You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.”

This weightlifter’s “nutrition light” shone for me and I was influenced. How much better is it to allow the light of Christ to shine through us and influence the world around us? Eating healthfully is beneficial. How much more beneficial is it to learn about the Savior of your soul?

As believers, we can influence those around us as we stand on the Word of God. 2 Timothy 3:16&17 says this: “All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.” We are designed for good works in Christ (see Ephesians 2:10) and those works are not for our edification; they are to glorify God. And when we do that, He draws mankind to Himself.

One man can influence many. One man can also change the life of one person for eternity! Who are you influencing for Christ?

No comments:

Post a Comment