Thursday, October 31, 2013

I Can Prevail

"I am weary, God, but I can prevail.” Proverbs 30:1b

This is a beautiful declaration. It is honest: I’ve been in this battle for a while now and I’m getting worn out. It is addressed to the right person: God. It is true: I can do this!
Agur, the writer of this proverb, was able to declare in the midst of whatever it was that was making him weary, that he knew he would prevail. He must have known that God gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak (Isaiah 40:29) and that God says, “I will refresh the weary and satisfy the faint.”(Jeremiah 31:25) He must have taken these truths to heart, and because of that, he saw victory while he was yet in the battle. He must have been familiar with Yahweh Nissi (the Lord is my Banner). Before Paul ever collected his thoughts to say that we are more than conquerors through Him that loved us (Romans 8:37), Agur was living it.

We are blessed to have a record of the God-inspired words of Believers that have gone before us. Their words serve to inspire and encourage and can remind us that God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. This same God who strengthened and encouraged Agur in the midst of his ordeal, and who assured him of victory, is right by our side today – strengthening and encouraging and assuring us that we will prevail. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment