Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Pray Without Ceasing

Do we bother God with our prayers? How does He feel about us approaching Him more than once regarding a matter? Does that show a lack of faith on our part? Here are a few scriptures that address these concerns:

Leaving that place, Jesus withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon. A Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to Him, crying out, “Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is demon-possessed and suffering terribly.” Jesus did not answer a word. So His disciples came to Him and urged Him, “Send her away, for she keeps crying out after us.” He answered, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel.” The woman came and knelt before Him. “Lord, help me!” she said. He replied, “It is not right to take the children’s bread and toss it to the dogs.” “Yes it is, Lord,” she said. “Even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their master’s table.” Then Jesus said to her, “Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted.” And her daughter was healed at that moment. (Matt 15:21-28)
Going a little farther, He fell with His face to the ground and prayed, “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.” Then He returned to his disciples and found them sleeping…He went away a second time and prayed, “My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may Your will be done.” When He came back, He again found them sleeping, because their eyes were heavy. So He left them and went away once more and prayed the third time, saying the same thing. (Matt 26:39-44)
Then Jesus said to them, “Suppose you have a friend, and you go to him at midnight and say, ‘Friend, lend me three loaves of bread; a friend of mine on a journey has come to me, and I have no food to offer him.’ And suppose the one inside answers, ‘Don’t bother me. The door is already locked, and my children and I are in bed. I can’t get up and give you anything.’ I tell you, even though he will not get up and give you the bread because of friendship, yet because of your shameless audacity he will surely get up and give you as much as you need. “So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. (Luke 11:5-10)
Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”  (2 Corinthians 12:7b-9a)
          From these scriptures, it’s easy to see God’s heart on the matter of prayer. Come to Him…and He will answer. He will not chastise us for approaching Him multiple times. Jesus prayed three times to be relieved from what He was facing!  It’s ok to ask our Father for what we desire…even if it’s more than once.  
          We are invited to come boldly before Him (Hebrews 4:16), we are assured that He hears us and that we can be confident that He will answer (1 John 5:14-15). Further, we read that whatever we ask for that is in line with His will, we will receive (John 14:13-14)! God invites our persistent prayers. When we continue to go to God, it is recognition that He is the One who has the power to answer – He is the One who can make it happen. So please, approach your heavenly Father on a regular basis. Share your heart with Him…your needs…your desires. In Luke 18, it is recorded that Jesus told a parable about a persistent widow who was seeking justice from a judge. The judge ignored her for a length of time but finally gave in saying, “Even though I don’t fear God or care what people think, yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice, so that she won’t eventually come and attack me!” In telling this parable, Jesus was illustrating for His disciples that they should always pray and not give up. The widow’s persistence invoked a response from the judge. And when the judge responded, justice came about. AMEN!
So here are a couple of things to know about our prayers…
          First, we must be children of God in order for the scriptures noted above to apply to us. When we have put our trust in Christ, as our Savior, and made Him Lord of our lives, we can read the scriptures and understand that the principles found within are applicable to our lives. Many scriptures say that whatsoever we ask IN HIS NAME, we shall receive. Well, without relationship with Him, we do not have the authority to ask for anything in His name. The word tells us that no one can come to the Father except through Christ (John 14:6). And without being His children, we won’t recognize when He speaks to us (John 10:27). One more thing, when you ask, believe! He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him (Hebrews 11:6)!
          Second, Jesus is not our “Cosmic Concierge”. We cannot just call Him up, give Him our wish list, hang up, and then check those items off of our list – considering it done. Although it is His good pleasure to meet our needs and He will do so for His children, when we are praying and asking, we should only expect a “yes” to our prayers when it is in God’s will. He desires the best for us. He has great plans for our lives.  He does not simply give us anything and everything we ask for. (Praise God for that!) J Seek God’s will when you pray.
          The third consideration is God’s timing. This is where the persistent prayer comes in. It’s been said that God has three answers to our prayers: “yes”, “no”, or “wait”. For me, the “yes” and the “no” are manageable. When I receive a “yes”, great! When I receive a “no” I may be disappointed but I know the Lord has something better suited for me. But the “wait” gets me every time. Am I the only one who struggles with the “wait”?!?!?! The “wait” is the season before we hear clearly from God – before the door is opened and we know we can move forward or before the door is shut and it’s clear that we need to go in a different direction. He may have some circumstances He’d like to walk us through before He gives us a “yes” or “no”. And once He gives it, we are to accept it and respond accordingly.
          God’s timing is perfect. God’s will for us is perfect. God’s love is perfect. Be persistent in prayer until you hear clearly from God. Have faith in Him. He will answer. And, by the way, He loves to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment