Thursday, October 24, 2013

Intimacy With God and Man - part XI

Let’s Wrap it Up!
The opposite of intimacy is isolation.  I used to believe that the opposite of intimacy was being private or just not “going deep” with others. I no longer believe that. The definition of the verb “isolate” is to put or keep (someone or something) in a place or situation that is separate from others. There is no separation in intimacy. There is no intimacy in isolation. Intimacy does not develop just by being in the presence of other people - intimacy is an active pursuit. When we do not pursue intimacy, we are isolated. We are separated from the rich spirit and heart connections that the Lord desires with us and for us.

Charles Stanley identifies three barriers to developing intimacy: pride, rebellion, and hurriedness. “I’ve got it all together. I don’t need anyone!” “I don’t care what God says, I don’t need that type of relationship.” and “I’m too busy. I don’t have time to build intimate relationships.” But the results of intimacy are: stability, security, serenity, sensitivity, and spiritual understanding. We all need those things!

The abundant life that God promised happens because He makes it so (John 10:10). Christ’s death on the cross secured our salvation and abundant life once we get to heaven. But there’s more! Because the Holy Spirit lives in us, we can live an abundant, God-led, full, effective, joyful life right here on earth. And part of the way we fully experience this abundance is in the midst of intimate relationship with God and our fellow man. I encourage you to pray for and pursue intimate relationship both with God and your fellow man. It’s life-giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment