Thursday, May 1, 2014

Gratefulness

“Give us our food for today” Matthew 6:11

I like this translation of this portion of the prayer we call “The Lord’s Prayer” because it reminds me that I ought to be coming to God on a daily basis to seek His provision.  This is the way I recognize and honor Him as the source of everything I need in my life. I need not trust in anyone or anything more than Him. So daily I come to Him and daily I am given the opportunity to recognize His provision and favor and to be grateful.

I am prone to worry about the future. “Will this or that happen? What about that other thing? If I go over here, will things work out like I plan? Or should I go over there instead?” I don’t just wonder and plan;I often worry. And worry about the future is the number one killer of present day gratefulness. When I’m steeped in worry about the future, I forget to enjoy and appreciate the wonderful provision of today. As a matter of fact, because I’m so focused on the future, I may even believe the lie that God is not fulfilling His word right now!

Gratefulness and thanksgiving, praise and worship, honor and reverence are easy to give to my Father when I recognize today that He gave me what I needed today. Maybe no more…but certainly no less. Thank You Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment