Thursday, January 16, 2014

Our Exceedingly Great Reward

After this, the word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision: “Do not be afraid, Abram I am your shield, your very great reward.” Genesis 15:1

How many times have I started out one of these Bible studies saying how sweet I think the words of our Lord are? MANY TIMES!
Well, here it is again. My heart melts when I imagine our precious, heavenly Father telling Abram not to be afraid, that He is his very great reward. Don’t the words of the Father just touch your heart sometimes? How tender is this? This word came to Abram on the heels of rescuing Lot and others from captivity and a sketchy encounter with the king of Sodom. Abram and his “crew” had rescued the residents of Sodom who had been captured in a previous battle. The king of Sodom was beholden (in a sense) to Abram and made the offer to let Abram keep the spoils of the battle but return his people.  Abram refused that offer saying, “With raised hand I have sworn an oath to the Lord, God Most High, Creator of heaven and earth, that I will accept nothing belonging to you, not even a thread or the strap of a sandal, so that you will never be able to say, ‘I made Abram rich.’” Likely Abram had vowed to the Lord that if he was successful in battle, he would take nothing for himself; satisfied with successfully being reunited with Lot.

When we move from chapter 14 to chapter 15, we see these opening words from the Lord: “Do not be afraid, Abram I am your shield, your very great reward.” Of this statement, Matthew Henry says, “He [God] called him by name—Abram, which was a great honour to him, and made his name great…He cautioned him against being disquieted and confounded: Fear not, Abram. Abram might fear lest the four kings he had routed should rally again, and fall upon him to his ruin: “No,” says God, "Fear not. Fear not their revenges, nor thy neighbour’s envy; I will take care of thee.” …It is the will of God that his people should not give way to prevailing fears, whatever happens…He assured him of safety and happiness, that he should for ever be…as safe as God himself could keep him [and] as happy as God himself could make him. Abram had generously refused the rewards which the king of Sodom offered him, and here God comes, and tells him he shall be no loser by it…The rewards of believing obedience and self-denial are exceedingly great, 1 Co. 2:9.”
                                                                                                                             

God’s precious words to Abram, recorded here, are fraught with fatherly love and assurances, insight, and tenderness—don’t be afraid, I won’t let harm come to you, I am your shield, I am your Rewarder AND your reward. You have forfeited the rewards of man and you will feel no lack as a result. Does not our Father say the very same things to us? Yes, indeed He does.

For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, do not fear; I will help you.” Isaiah 41:13

“Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” John 14:27

“…For He Himself has said, ‘I will never leave you nor forsake you.’ So we may boldly say: ‘The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?’” Hebrews 13:5–6

 “‘No weapon that is fashioned against you shall succeed, and you shall refute every tongue that rises against you in judgment. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD and their vindication from me,’ declares the LORD.” Isaiah 54:17

“Every word of God is tested; He is a shield to those who take refuge in Him.” Proverbs 30:5

“Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?” Matthew 6:26

“And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.” John 14:3

“Tell the righteous it will be well with them, for they will enjoy the fruit of their deeds.”     Isaiah 3:10

No comments:

Post a Comment