Saturday, January 4, 2014

Submission

I just listened to a fun forum discussion regarding wives and the biblical mandate to submit to our husbands. I will not discuss that here. But what I will share are my thoughts as I was listening to the discussion. God is calling wives to submit even if the plan is not perceived to be the best. Note: I’m saying “not the best”. I am not saying “illegal” or “immoral”. I’m talking about submission when we simply THINK it’s not best.

It is difficult to believe that you know what is best but to carry out a different plan. To KNOW what is best and to CHOOSE something else is tough. To be willing to lay down your life for Plan A but to, instead, have to lay down your life for Plan B--that’s a tall order! Can I get any more extreme? Submission is tough but that is what we are called to. Well…

SUBMISSION IS NOT JUST A WIFE THING! As followers of Christ, we are called to submit to Him. ("Not my will, but Yours…") This is cool…as long as what He wants makes sense to me. As long as I also think it is best, then it’s no problem. But when I “KNOW” what’s best and He wants something else? When I’m willing to sacrifice everything for Plan A but He wants Plan B? Then it gets real deep during prayer time. It can get downright raw during morning devotions when my heart does not want to submit. The spirit is willing, but the flesh…it gets weak. Thankfully, when we accepted Christ as our Savior, He gave us the Holy Spirit. And along with the Spirit comes His love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance (self-control). I praise God for this because if I am to submit, I may need to employ a few of these traits. :-)

So, my dear ones, submit yourself to God because it truly is what’s best for you. Whatever that submission looks like – ultimately, it is unto God. And I know, because you are reading this, that honoring Him is important to you.

Submit and be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment