Sunday, November 17, 2013

The Middle

Two things I ask of you, Lord; do not refuse me before I die: Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, ‘Who is the Lord?’ Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God.  Proverbs 30:7-9

With this proverb, we revisit the sayings of Agur. Very little explanation needed here. The self-awareness of Agur, and I would venture to say, his awareness of general human frailty, is explained here. When we are exceptionally prosperous we may be inclined to forget that it is the Lord who has enabled our success, and we may brag about our successful ways. When we are poor we may be inclined to turn our backs on the Lord and resort to corrupt actions in an attempt to change our plight. Agur is pointing out that either extreme may inspire feeble humans to “go off the deep end” in response. His remedy is to ask the Lord to give him neither poverty nor riches. Agur desires to be positioned somewhere in the middle – in a place of recognition of God’s sovereignty and appropriate reliance upon Him. Agur believes the wise man values the “middle state” of life – neither poverty, nor riches. And this is the positioning which he asks from the Lord. A place of grace where he will neither disown nor dishonor the Lord.
Paul, however, states “I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through Him who gives me strength.” (Philippians 4:12&13)

Paul, like Agur is aware of his and our humanity – our penchant for discontent, our natural striving for more…bigger…better, our drive to “keep up with the Joneses”. His remedy is, like Agur, to rely on the Lord for his contentment. And through Him who gives Paul strength, he has learned to be content even if he finds himself somewhere other than the “middle state”.
We can learn from Agur to pray and ask for the Lord’s mercy; that we not be lead into temptation. (Matt. 6:13) We can learn from Paul to rely on the Lord to hold us in a place of contentment in Him, regardless of the state we find ourselves in. These are two great words of wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment