Monday, November 18, 2013

Why Me?

Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth! You have set your glory in the heavens…When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars,     which you have set in place, what is mankind that you are mindful of them, human beings that you care for them? You have made them a little lower than the angels and crowned them with glory and honor. You made them rulers over the works of your hands; you put everything under their feet…Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth! (Psalm 8 excerpts)

Numerous times in my life I have stood gazing up at the vast evening sky, with the beauty of the stars and thought about this Psalm. I have been overwhelmed thinking about how it is that an amazing God who has created all things, can do all things, and knows all things would so highly esteem regular human beings like you and me. The psalmist rightly asks WHAT IS MAN THAT YOU ARE MINDFUL OF HIM?!?!?!  When I look at the heavens, the works of your hands, all you’ve created, I wonder what in the world would make you care so much for me?  For us? You created man just a little lower in rank than the angels! And then you gave us rule over all that you created?!?!? What in the world???  This is one of those instances where the meaning of the Isaiah 55:8&9 passage becomes crystal clear: “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord. “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.” Yep, crystal clear.
I am humbled and amazed that this God who created the heavens and the earth so deeply loves and cares for the nearly 7 billion people walking this earth, the ones who have come before us, and the ones who will come after us. I can’t explain it. I can’t fully grasp that kind of love.  But I am so thankful for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment